Edenderry Community Development Association  
   
  A Community Association based in Portadown  
�

Cultural and Historical Home

Churches Files

Uploaded Cultural and Historical Photos - click a photo to see an enlarged picture with further info.


Church
Church

Early photo

Edenderry Memorial Men's Bible Class - 1919
Edenderry Memorial Men's Bible Class - 1919

Photo courtesy Rotary.

KIRK SESSION - 1925
KIRK SESSION - 1925

Photo courtesy of Rotary.



First Presbyterian Church - Committee
First Presbyterian Church - Committee

The 150th Anniversary.


Photo courtesy Church Report1972

First Presbyterian Church - Session
First Presbyterian Church - Session

150th Anniversary.


Photo courtesy Church Report 1972

The Methodist Wooden Tabernacle
The Methodist Wooden Tabernacle

We have outlined in red the building we believe to be the Wooden Tabernacle on the 1907 ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP.It was referred to as THE CLUB & READING ROOMS. Note Eden Avenue was not built until after 1907.

Edenderry Wooden Tabernacle.

In Edenderry about the year 1869,a Wooden Tabernacle, seating about one hundred, was erected near the present Eden Avenue, Carrickblacker Road. As well as the usual Church Services on Sunday, a very progressive and efficient Sunday School, was carried on.

The Edenderry folk were very fortunate in having as Superintendent, Mr. Alfred Lowe, who resided in Bridge Street, during his tenure of office, which lasted seven or eight years.


The Sunday School from small beginnings developed and could claim to have one hundred scholars in attendance. He was well supported by a loyal band of teachers.

Mr. Alfred Lowe, suggested at the Quarterly Meeting, that the officials should look for a site in Edenderry district, where a proper Methodist Church could be erected.

It was aimed to have a Model Sunday School in Edenderry The Superintendents and officials, that succeeded him, kept this in mind.

A step nearer this goal was reached, when in February1891, the second Methodist Church was opened. A great improvement on the Wooden Tabernacle.

Here we might make mention of two Superintendents, H.W. Stevens, who in the early years of the twentieth century, was appointed Superintendent of the afternoon School. During his term of office, the School was graded and a Primary Department opened in the newly erected School Room, attached to the Church.

A feature of this School, was the very fine Men’s and Ladies Bible Classes, held in conjunction with the afternoon School. Mr. Anthony Cowdy, was the teacher of the Bible Class. It went upwards from twelve to twenty young Ladies attended. The Men’s Bible Class had an equally good attendance, and the teachers of this class, when it was so numerically strong were, Mr.Frank Robinson, Rev.R.H.Gallagher B.A. Rev.E. Whittaker and Rev.J.R.W.Roddie.

The Superintendent, who held office for upwards of thirty years, was Mr.S.C.Robinson Seagoe House, who maintained the high state of efficiency in the School and during his term of office, made it very strong financially, it becoming a self supporting school, not asking, but giving liberally, especially to the proposed new Church in Edenderry. He was ably supported in all this work, having R,J.Magowan O.B.E. as an efficient secretary and treasurer.


Reference - WM.J.Green.







Edenderry Memorial Methodist Church
Edenderry Memorial Methodist Church

The Memorial Church.--1891

On the 11th September 1889, it was reported at a Sunday School Teachers Meeting, that in the will of the late Mr. James Johnston, a substantial legacy had been left for the building of a Sunday School Chapel in Edenderry.

A committee had already been formed and had met on Friday 14th January 1887 to consider proposed new premises in Edenderry.

The members were The Reverend W. Nicholas B.A. (Superintendent),the Reverend Robert Jaminson and the Reverend William Merrick, together with Thomas Shillington J.P. William Paul J.P. William Mitchell, John Lutton, D.G. Paul, Thomas Proctor, Watson Walker, James Steele, James Johnston, Hamilton Robb, William Hall and Alexander Reynolds. Subsequently six or eight members attended each meeting.

Mr. Nicholas (Later Dr. Nicholas), presided. Mr. D. G. Paul was appointed secretary and Mr. Thomas Shillington, Treasurer, With in two months they had made a first attempt to get suitable part of the field, in which the new Presbyterian School, was to be built.

Edenderry Public Elementary School, demolished to make way for Carrick Eden Grange, was built in 1888-1889. Application was made to Mr. Atkinson, the agent of the Baroness Von. Steiglitz of Carrickblacker. How ever the ground sought, had already been promised for a School Masters Residence.

Mr.George Henry Quarry a Belfast Solicitor, was applied to, for some land at the top of Carrickblacker Road, but initially there was no response from him and other possible sites investigated, where some ground opposite, where James Street now stands and land behind, where the little Roman Catholic Church, was later built. (Car Wash Now) and near the site of Edenderry Orange Hall. A reply was received from Mr. Quarry, but the proposed Ground Rent of £15 a year was considered to high and another effort was made to get from the Baroness Von Steiglitz, some ground at the corner of what is now Carrickblacker Avenue and in the same field where the existing Tabernacle stood. The terms were not satisfactory and by December of 1887, a further approach had been made to Mr.Quarry, who suggested a price of £300, plus an annual ground rent of £2. The committee offered £300,plus a £1 a year ground rent. The £300 would be raised by collecting £150, borrowing £100 and seeking a grant of £50, from the Chapel Committee.

In March of 1888 negotiations with Mr. Quarry were still continuing, but by September of that year, a proposed lease for purchase of the ground had been drawn up and it was signed on December 10th 1888. The terms were a payment of £325 and ground rent of a £1 a year’

In Juanuary1889 the committee sought also the gift of a small piece of land from Mr. W. R. Atkinson of Eden Villa. There is no doubt, that the site then secured at the top of Carrickblacker Road was the best of all those they had considered.

By March1889 plans had been submitted by the Architect Mr. Henry Shillington and various alterations were suggested to reduce the cost, which was estimated at £695 including seating, fencing and heating.

The interior was to be wainscoted to height of 4ft. 6ins. Some minor changes were made and a tender of £532 from Messrs Collen Brother’s was accepted.

The committee inspected the work in July 1890,some further changes were made, which increased the cost to £657. In addition to the cost of the site, some minor faults and one more serious defect in the front gable were to be remedied.

Details of the furnishing were discussed in August and October, but by the middle of January 1891, the building was ready and the seats were in place. It is plain from the design of the building, that it was planned, very much with Sunday School work in mind.

Almost up to the eve of the opening services, the building was known as The Edenderry Memorial School Chapel.

Reference Edenderry Memorial Methodist Church.

Mr, W. Garfield England.






Edenderry Memorial Methodist Church Hall
Edenderry Memorial Methodist Church Hall

The old houses to right of Hall were demolished to make way for the new Church which was built in the early part of the 50's.

First Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church

Notice position of Mill & Chimney Stack. The other Chimney Stack peering over the small houses on the same side as the Church we believe was in the Foundry Street area.
Our thanks to Mr A. Forbes for loan of post card photo



Edenderry Memorial Methodist Church
Edenderry Memorial Methodist Church

The Church was built in 1890 & the opening services took place in January 1891.
The photo shows the Church & Bachelor's Walk 1920

Our thanks to Mr A.Forbes for the loan of the post card photo.

FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH - BRIDGE STREET

Built in 1857 on a site of an earlier church of 1822. The building was extremely well planned, graceful and perfect in symmetry. The gallery was added 1875-81; rebuilt and enlarged in 1882 ( Architects Young & Mackenzie ).Transepts added 1891; organ 1901.
Attractive stucco façade, disyle Corinthian portico in antis flanked by single bay wings articulated by pilasters and decorated with central niches.
Handsome interior; gallery faced with charming iron grille with shamrocks, on cast-iron columns with crude floral capitals. Good deal box-pews; geometrical window astragals.

Reference:- Ulster Architectural Heritage Society (Craigavon)

The original church stood back from the street,on the site afterwards occupied by the school-house. Near it was the tomb of the Rev.J.W.G.Dowling,erected by the congregation whose minister he had been for many years,although he died at the age of 38,in 1838.In 1888 the Rev.W.J.Mccauley was the minister.

Reference Bassett 1888

1

Last 5 Additions

Hoys Meadows Celebrations
Hoys Meadows Celebrations

Great day of celebration on Saturday 23 September
Hoys Meadows Celebrations
Hoys Meadows Celebrations

Great day of celebration on Saturday 23 September
Hoys Meadows Celebrations
Hoys Meadows Celebrations

Great day of celebration on Saturday 23 September
Hoys Meadows Celebrations
Hoys Meadows Celebrations

Great day of celebration on Saturday 23 September
Hoys Meadows Celebrations
Hoys Meadows Celebrations

Great day of celebration on Saturday 23 September

Total Hits: 1083181 © 2005 Edenderry Community Development Association Current Users: 4